BAD WRAP is Shoreham based charity, Esteem’s http://www.esteem.org.uk/new environmental campaign that encourages country and beach users to collect their 5-a-day of rubbish which they may find on their walks and to bin it on their way home. Any branded rubbish found can be photographed and uploaded onto our new Bad Wrap blog page.
The aims are :
- To promote recycling and environmental awareness
- To encourage everyone to take responsibility for our community spaces
- To highlight companies that are not yet using ecological packaging
- To promote community integration, as our Esteem mentors will work alongside our young participants and all our fellow walkers from the whole community
- To keep help conserve our natural heritage and Britain tidy!
Adur Council will be invited to support the project and with their help (and permission) Bad Wrap posters will be put up at public parks, beach areas and countryside walks, covering public spaces between Brighton and Shoreham .
Because Esteem encourages and nurtures the creativity of our young participants, mentors and other volunteers, they organised a group walk starting from Coronation Green, on the 14th August . They walked to the beautiful Widewater Beach Nature Reserve, and Brighton Soup members, Friends of Shoreham Beach, (FoSB), and local residents and friends of Esteem joined them. The group not to only picked up rubbish but also searched for beautiful flotsam and jetsam, driftwood, and shells, to be turned into Art and craft items. Similar projects resulted in work produced at our Monday Drop In at Esteem’s offices, in Ham Road and sold at the Bloomin’ Adur Festival.
Bad Wrap walkers would also be welcome to create decorative items from our ‘objects trouvés’ at a proposed special workshop event on 21st August, the following Sunday at 2pm.