Shoreham Beach is a designated Local Nature reserve and Friends of Shoreham Beach are a local group of volunteers who look after it. They organise Beach Cleans, recording and handling of local flora and fauna, education and monitoring of the Reserve for Adur and Worthing Council.
FoSB are Beach Champions for the Marine Conservation Society and, as part of their activities, have recently successfully applied for grant aid from the HP Beach Clean Up Fund in support of a more family and child centred beach clean and awareness programme entitled
TIDY UP THE TIDELINE (TUTT)
This initiative will be aimed at families, schools and local groups such as Cubs, Brownies, Rainbows with the idea that cleaning a beach can be fun and educational.
Each TUTT session :-
- will be introduced and supported by competent FoSB members. Children will be with parents throughout if an open group, or supervised by teachers or Group Leaders if a closed group
- will commence with a safety briefing and some input about the beach or its wildlife, helping the children to understand something about the impact of litter in a marine environment and the special nature of the LNR.
- will ensure that all children will be supplied with gloves and fluorescent tabards. They will work in pairs, sharing litter pickers and rubbish bags within carefully designated areas
- will be a maximum of an hour and a half and will encourage children to safely look for and clean rubbish from the beach at the high and low tide strand lines where most of the debris accumulates
- will have a simple competitive element ( eg finding the most pieces of blue plastic; the most unusual thing found; how many pieces of green net etc) with a small prize awarded. This will be presented at the review with everyone at the close of the event
Open sessions will take place once a month on dates to be published on Facebook, by email and on our website.
Schools, clubs and groups may request closed sessions with specific agendas to fit in with educational requirements at dates to suit themselves. We already have interest from Shoreham Beach Cub pack and Hove Rainbows… if you have an interested party, please contact us.